One Reported Dead, One Wounded in Overnight Capitol Hill Protest Zone Shooting — South Seattle Emerald

The Most Revolutionary Act

by JSeattle

(This article originally appeared on Capitol Hill Seattle Blog and has been reprinted with permission.)


One man was reported dead and another person was shot and wounded in an overnight shooting at the Capitol Hill protest zone.

Police have confirmed the shooting but have not released further details. It was not clear if any suspects were in custody.

UPDATE 10:10 a.m.: Seattle Police have confirmed CHS’s early reports on the shooting and say that a 19-year-old is dead and that there have been no arrests:

On June 20th, at approximately 2:30 AM, East Precinct officers responded to a report of shots fired in Cal Anderson Park. This is inside the area referred to as the Capitol Hill Organized Protest (CHOP). Officers attempted to locate a shooting victim but were met by a violent crowd that prevented officers safe access to the victims. Officers were later informed that…

View original post 758 more words

Alex Zanardi: Ex-Formula 1 driver in ‘serious but stable’ condition after handbike crash

Former Formula 1 driver Alex Zanardi is in a “serious but stable” condition after having surgery on a head injury sustained in an accident during a handbike relay in his native Italy.

The 53-year-old was involved in a crash with a lorry in Pienza on Friday.

Zanardi was taken by helicopter to hospital in Siena, where he is on a ventilator in intensive care.

“The operation went as it should have, it was the original situation that was not good,” Zanardi’s surgeon said.

“What the prognosis will be tomorrow, in a week, in 15 days, I don’t know.

“Serious means he’s in a situation where he could die, in these cases improvements can be very small over time and worsening can be sudden.”

The hospital had previously said “the neurological picture remains serious” following an operation that lasted almost three hours.

Zanardi had both legs amputated after crashing in the American Memorial 500 Cart race at Lausitz, Germany, in 2001.

He has since become a four-time Paralympic handcycling gold medallist.

“You have never given up and with your extraordinary fortitude you have overcome a thousand difficulties,” Italian prime minister Giuseppe Conte said on Twitter.

“Come on Alex Zanardi, don’t give up. All of Italy is fighting with you.”

Former Formula 1 world champion Mario Andretti tweeted: “I am so anxious and frightened about Alex Zanardi that I’m holding my breath. I am his fan. I am his friend.

“Please do what I’m doing and pray, pray for this wonderful man.”

Zanardi was taking part in an event called the Obiettivo Tricolore, a journey where the participants ride across Italy on handbikes, cycles or wheelchairs.

Top New York prosecutor leaves job after standoff with Barr

An extraordinary standoff between Attorney General William Barr and Manhattan’s top federal prosecutor ended on Saturday when the prosecutor agreed to leave his job with an assurance that investigations by the prosecutor’s office into the president’s allies would not be disturbed.

US Attorney Geoffrey S Berman announced he would leave his post, ending increasingly nasty exchanges between Barr and Berman. 

President Donald Trump, meanwhile, had distanced himself from the dispute, telling reporters the decision “was all up to the attorney general”, even as Barr stated in a letter that he had asked the president to remove Berman.

In a letter to Berman earlier on Saturday, Barr wrote that he was “surprised and quite disappointed” by Berman’s late-night public statement in which he refused to quit his job, saying Berman had made a “public spectacle over public service”.

“I have asked the President to remove you as of today, and he has done so,” Barr said, adding that the Deputy US Attorney Audrey Strauss for the Southern District of New York, will become the acting United States attorney until a permanent replacement is installed.

The post is considered one of the most prominent for federal prosecutors in the country.

Berman had shown up to work at his office on Saturday, hours after Barr had unexpectedly announced that he was stepping down. Replying to that announcement, Berman had said he had no intention of leaving the post until the Senate confirms his successor. 

‘Potential corruption of the legal process’

The imbroglio sets up an extraordinary political and constitutional clash between the Justice Department and one of the nation’s top districts, which has tried major political cases over the years and is currently investigating Trump’s personal lawyer Giuliani’s international business dealings. 

Giuliani served as an unofficial envoy to Ukraine for Trump, and his dealings were at the heart of impeachment proceedings against the president, who was later acquitted.

The move is also set to deepen tensions between the department and congressional Democrats who have accused Barr of politicising the agency and acting more like Trump’s personal lawyer than the country’s chief law enforcement officer. 

The timing of the decision mystified people familiar with the matter in the Southern District who could point to no clear reason for Berman’s removal. His job had always seemed in jeopardy and Berman was never given the sense that it was secure, people familiar with the situation told The Associated Press news agency. 

Meanwhile, the White House has announced that Trump is nominating Securities and Exchange Commission Chairman Jay Clayton, a well-connected Wall Street lawyer has virtually no experience as a federal prosecutor, for the job.

The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, Senator Lindsey Graham, a Republican and Trump ally, said he was unlikely to proceed with Clayton’s nomination unless New York Senators Chuck Schumer and Kirsten Gillibrand, both Democrats, gave their consent to the pick.

Schumer has said the bid to remove Berman “reeks of potential corruption of the legal process”, while Gillibrand said she would “not be complicit” in helping to fire a prosecutor investigating corruption.

Both lawmakers called for Clayton to withdraw from consideration.

The chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, Jerry Nadler, said before Berman’s firing that the committee would invite him to testify this coming week. 

Prosecution of Trump associates

The federal prosecutor’s office in New York has recently prosecuted a number of Trump associates, including president’s former personal lawyer and fixer Michael Cohen, who served a prison sentence for lying to Congress and campaign finance crimes.

Berman oversaw the prosecution of two Florida businessmen, Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman, who were associates of Giuliani and tied to the Ukraine impeachment investigation. The men were charged in October with federal campaign finance violations, including hiding the origin of a $325,000 donation to a group supporting Trump’s re-election.

Attention refocused on the office this past week after news organisations obtained copies of former National Security Advisor John Bolton’s tell-all book, in which he alleges that Trump sought to cut a deal to stop federal prosecutors in New York from investigating whether Halkbank violated US sanctions against Iran in order to free an American pastor imprisoned in Turkey.

SOURCE: NEWS AGENCIES

Trump addresses campaign rally at half-empty Tulsa arena

Gathering a smaller-than-expected crowd, President Donald Trump sought to reinvigorate his re-election campaign with a rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma, amid anti-racism protests in cities across the country and a still-strong coronavirus pandemic.

Even as the coronavirus death toll in the United States is nearing 120,000, Trump declared on Saturday night that his response to the pandemic saved “hundreds of thousands” of lives.

Trump suggested that he wants the pace of COVID-19 testing in the US to slow down, blaming it for the rapid rise in the number of confirmed cases. His campaign, however, said the the president was “speaking in jest.”

The US president also tried to explain away the crowd size, blaming it on the media for declaring “don’t go, don’t come, don’t do anything” while insisting there were protesters outside “doing bad things,” though the small crowds of prerally demonstrators were largely peaceful.

“We begin our campaign,” Trump thundered. “The silent majority is stronger than ever before.”

Just moments before Trump’s speech, his son, Eric, also addressed the crowd, comparing the anti-racism protesters across the US as “animals.”

Trump has come under fire for his responses to the coronavirus and to the death of George Floyd, a Black man who died in the custody of Minneapolis police.

The US president has brushed aside criticism for his decision to hold his first rally since March 2 in Tulsa, the site of the country’s bloodiest outbreaks of racist violence against Black Americans some 100 years ago.

“Oklahoma and America need four more years of President Donald Trump in the White House!” Vice President Mike Pence told cheering supporters ahead of Trump’s address at the 19,000-seat BOK Center arena, where many empty seats were visible.

Trump campaign officials had said prior to the event that demand far outstripped the capacity of the venue.

But on Saturday night, almost half of the BOK Center arena were empty, and the campaign was forced to cancel an outdoor rally, after the expected overflow crowd did not show up.

Virus spike

Oklahoma has reported a surge in new COVID-19 infections in recent days, and the state’s department of health has warned that rally attendees face an increased risk of catching the virus.

Hours before the rally, Trump’s campaign announced six members of its advance team had tested positive for COVID-19.

The Republican president is trailing presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, former Vice President Joe Biden, in polls ahead of the November election.

Supporters are delighted to see Trump back on the campaign trail, and those wanting to attend far outstripped the number of seats available, Trump campaign officials said.

Trump rally Tulsa
A supporter wearing a face mask has her temperature checked outside the venue for President Donald Trump’s rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma [Shannon Stapleton/Reuters]

Masks not obligatory

The rally is expected to be the biggest indoor event the country has seen since restrictions to prevent the coronavirus from spreading began in March.

Trump’s own campaign issued an unusual disclaimer telling attendees they “assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19”.

The rally comes as the country is still in the throes of the coronavirus pandemic, with Oklahoma’s case tally reaching a new daily high on Wednesday, at 450 infections.

Trump rally Tulsa
A man lies on the ground outside the venue of Donald Trump’s rally in Tulsa, Oklahoma [Goran Tomasevic/Reuters]   

 ‘Back to business’

Trump has emphasised quickly reopening the country, claiming that there may be “embers” of the pandemic that can be handled locally.

In an interview with the news site Axios on Friday, Trump predicted a “wild evening” in Oklahoma.

He said the rally is about pushing a message of reopening the country.

“We have to get back to business,” Trump said. “We have to get back to living our lives. Can’t do this any longer.”

The president has also previously warned protesters that they will face a harsh response in Tulsa.

The Trump campaign said masks and hand sanitiser will be provided at the rally. However, many attendees are expected to flout local and national guidelines that recommend people wear face coverings in public.

“It’s a personal choice, I won’t be wearing a mask,” White House Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany said on Friday, adding that she is frequently tested for the virus.

Al Jazeera’s Jay Gray, reporting from Tulsa ahead of the rally, said that Trump’s supporters were “very excited” to see the president.

“When you talk to those supporters, most will tell you that they don’t plan to wear facemasks, that they are not concerned about the virus.”

Trump also faces criticism for holding the rally in Tulsa – where hundreds of Black residents were massacred by white mobs in 1921 – following the killing of George Floyd last month.

Rio mayor suspends games to give teams more time to prepare

The resumption of Brazilian football was dealt a setback when the city’s mayor suspended matches involving Botafogo and Fluminense in order to give the clubs more time to prepare for action.

The Rio de Janeiro state championship became the first of Brazil’s soccer tournaments to restart after a three-month hiatus on Thursday when reigning champions Flamengo beat Bangu 3-0.

However, Fluminense and Botafogo threatened not to play games scheduled for June 22, with Fluminense players saying they needed more time to train, and Botafogo declaring they would only be ready to play in July.

With courts refusing their appeal to postpone the games and the two clubs worried they would lose points by a WO, Mayor Marcelo Crivella took action.

His initial decree suspended all games in the Rio state championship until June 25 but he reversed that position hours later to halt only Botafogo’s match against Cabofriense and Fluminense’s encounter with Volta Redonda.

Practice yoga to fight coronavirus – Modi

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday urged the world to use yoga to battle the coronavirus pandemic that has claimed the lives of 460,299 people and infected more than 8.5 million, Reuters news agency reported.

“If our immunity is strong then it helps in fighting against the disease. There are many yoga practices that boost our immunity,” Modi said during a televised address on the occasion of International Day of Yoga.

Modi appealed people to perform ‘Pranayam’, a breathing exercise, to strengthen their respiratory system. COVID-19 is a respiratory infection that in severe cases causes shortness of breath and lung failure.

India saw an increase of 14,516 COVID-19 cases on Saturday, the health ministry said, taking the total to 395,047 with 12,948 deaths.