IPOB accuses British govt of masterminding discriminatory activities against Biafrans

The Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, Friday accused the British government of masterminding all the discriminatory activities against Biafrans. IPOB in a statement by its Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, entitled “The deliberate and well orchestrated destruction of Biafra and Igbo race in particular was started by the British government”, also alleged that the British government classified certain parts of Igboland as sub-Igbo groups, including Ngwa, Opobo, Bonny to achieve their selfish aims, when they never had such classification as sub-Yoruba or sub-Hausa groups.

The pro Biafra group however, blamed the  Ohaneze Ndigbo, for failing in their duties to unite all the British separated Biafra territories, adding that the Pan Igbo Socio-cultural organization, never fought to unite Biafra children, but were busy allegedly  collecting money from the powers that be in Abuja and telling Biafrans how they are elders and intellectuals. IPOB statement reads, “Britain must have seen something unique qualities in us that made them want to destroy the Igbo race and other ethnic nationalities in Biafra at all cost.” “If not, why would they classify certain parts of Igboland as sub-Igbo groups including Ngwa, Opobo, Bonny and several others, but never had any sub-Yoruba or sub-Hausa groups “Britain then groomed Fulani terrorists to carry on the hatred and they perfected the art of shrinking Igboland through their evil boundary commission, which has continued on till date. “You can see from this British map that the creators of Nigeria British colonial masters knew Bonny of Niger-Delta or South-South is actually UBANI, as in Ubani-Ibeku, where our leader come.

“Ohaneze Ndigbo never fought to unite those children of Igbo but were busy collecting money from Abuja and telling us how they are elders and intellectuals.” According to IPOB, “Biafra is one, we all are one people. Niger-Delta my foot. It is an indisputable fact that many riverine people across the breadth and length of Kalabari kingdom have Igbo lineage.” “By lineage it means we are all related by blood. This is the point we set out to establish when we started this debate.” Meanwhile, the leader of IPOB and Director of Radio Biafra, Mazi Nnamdi Kanu has announced that there will be no Sit-at-home to mark the 2020 Biafra Day Celebration. Mazi Kanu, however said, “There will be peaceful Candle light and global procession that will be concluded with prayers” He therefore, urged members to ignore the Police threat to disrupt the procession, but rather come out to join the procession.

VANGUARD

US: Derek Chauvin charged with murder in death of George Floyd

The white police officer who was seen on video kneeling on the neck of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who died in custody after pleading that he could not breathe, was arrested Friday and charged with murder in a case that sparked protests across the United States and violence in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Derek Chauvin, the officer seen on a bystander’s mobile phone video kneeling on Floyd’s neck on Monday before the 46-year-old man died, has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter, Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman told a news briefing.

“He is in custody and has been charged with murder,” Freeman said of Chauvin. “We have evidence, we have the citizen’s camera’s video, the horrible, horrific, terrible thing we have all seen over and over again, we have the officer’s body-worn camera, we have statements from some witnesses.”

The mobile phone footage showed Floyd repeatedly moaning and gasping while he pleaded to Chauvin, kneeling on his neck, “Please, I can’t breathe.” After several minutes, Floyd gradually grows quiet and ceases to move.

The arrest and charges come after three days of protests, which escalated in violence as demonstrators torched a police precinct that had been abandoned by officers.

Residents welcomed the charges, but said the other three officers involved must also be arrested and charged. 

Freeman said those officers were still under investigation.

With smoke drifting over Minneapolis, Minnesota Governor Tim Walz on Friday acknowledged the “abject failure” of the response to this week’s violent protests and called for swift justice for police involved in Floyd’s death.

Walz said the state would take over the response and that it’s time to show respect and dignity to those who are suffering. The US National Guard had arrived in Minneapolis by midday Thursday.

“Minneapolis and Saint Paul are on fire. The fire is still smouldering in our streets. The ashes are symbolic of decades and generations of pain, of anguish unheard,” Walz said, adding, “Now generations of pain is manifesting itself in front of the world – and the world is watching.”

His comments came the morning after protesters torched a police station that officers abandoned during a third night of violence.

Livestream video showed protesters entering the building, where intentionally set fires activated smoke alarms and sprinklers. US President Donald Trump threatened action, tweeting “when the looting starts, the shooting starts”, which prompted a warning from Twitter for “glorifying violence”.

The governor faced tough questions after National Guard leader Major General Jon Jensen blamed a lack of clarity about the guard’s mission for a slow response. Walz said the state was in a supporting role and that it was up to city leaders to run the situation.

“You will not see that tonight, there will be no lack of leadership,” Walz said.

Dozens of fires were also set in nearby Saint Paul, where nearly 200 businesses were damaged or looted. Protests spread across the US, fuelled by outrage over Floyd’s death, and years of violence against African Americans at the hands of police.

Obama: This shouldn’t be the normal in America

Former President Barack Obama issued a statement on Floyd’s killing via Twitter. Obama cited conversations with friends in recent days, including one with an African American business owner who said Floyd’s killing “hurt” to watch.

While it’s “natural” for people to want things to return to normal, Obama said, “we have to remember that for millions of Americans, being treated differently on account of race is tragically, painfully, maddeningly ‘normal’.”Barack Obama@BarackObama

My statement on the death of George Floyd:

View image on Twitter

1.43MTwitter Ads info and privacy403K people are talking about this

“This shouldn’t be ‘normal’ in America. It can’t be ‘normal.’ If we want our children to grow up in a nation that lives up to its highest ideals, we can and must be better,” Obama said.

Trump says US ‘terminating relationship’ with WHO amid pandemic

US President Donald Trump has announced the United States will be terminating its relationship with the World Health Organization, saying it had failed to adequately respond to the coronavirus because China has “total control” over it.

He said the Chinese officials “ignored” their reporting obligations to the WHO and pressured the health organisation to mislead the world when the virus was first discovered.

“Because they have failed to make the requested and greatly needed reforms, we will be today terminating our relationship with the World Health Organization,” Trump told reporters on Friday.

He said the US contributes about $450m to the WHO while China provides about $40m, adding that the US will be “redirecting those funds to other worldwide and deserving urgent global public health needs”.

“China’s cover-up of the Wuhan virus allowed the disease to spread all over the world,” Trump said.

Reform demands

On May 18, the US president sent WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus a letter, listing what he said were examples of the WHO’s shortcomings in managing the pandemic, including ignoring early reports of the emergence of the virus.

He accused the United Nations body of caving in to Chinese pressure by declining to declare coronavirus a global health emergency in the initial days of the outbreak.

Trump went on to criticise the WHO for praising China’s “transparency”, despite reports that Beijing had punished several doctors in Wuhan, the epicentre of the outbreak, for speaking out about the viral infection in late December.

The US leader also threatened to halt funding from the body’s top donor altogether if it does not commit to reforms within 30 days.

The WHO bowed to calls from most of its member states to launch an independent probe into how it managed the international response to the pandemic.

The probe is expected to shed light on the origins of the virus and China’s early handling of the outbreak.

Global initiative

Earlier on Friday, the WHO and nearly three dozen countries led by Costa Rica launched a global initiative allowing for the sharing of data and scientific knowledge in the fight against COVID-19.

Costa Rica President Carlos Alvarado outlined a worldwide “technology repository” for vaccines, medicines and diagnostics, seeking to boost solidarity and urging more countries to join the COVID-19 Technology Access Pool.

The collective effort offers a platform to “share openly on a voluntary basis and in a collaborative way the data and the intellectual property that will be generated throughout the world in order to make this a public global good,” he said.

While the push by mostly developing nations won praise from groups including Doctors Without Borders (Medecins Sans Frontieres, or MSF), a drug industry alliance questioned whether the effort to pool intellectual property would really broaden access to medicines.

WHO Foundation

On Wednesday, Tedros announced the creation of the WHO Foundation, which will enable WHO to tap new sources of funding, including the general public.

The foundation is being created as an independent grant-making entity that will support the organisation’s efforts to address the most pressing global health challenges by raising new funds from “non-traditional sources”.

Tedros said the UN body’s annual budget of about $2.3bn was “very, very small” for a global agency, close to that of a medium-sized hospital in the developed world.

The WHO chief said the creation of the WHO Foundation had nothing to do with the “recent funding issues”.

SOURCE: AL JAZEERA AND NEWS AGENCIES

US Military Pursues War Games Amid Contagion

The Most Revolutionary Act

(Image by Graphic from Hawaii Peace and Justice)

 
By Ann Wright, OpEd News

During the pandemic the U.S. military is running the largest maritime military maneuvers in the world, with Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) coming to the waters off Hawaii Aug. 17-31, bringing 26 nations, 25,000 military personnel, up to 50 ships and submarines and hundreds of aircraft.

Hawaii has stringent measures to combat the spread of Covid-19, with a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all persons arriving in the state; returning residents as well as visitors. This quarantine is required until at least June 30, 2020.

The U.S. Army is also pursuing a 6,000-person war game in Poland, June 5-19, with a Polish airborne operation and a U.S.-Polish division-size river crossing.

If these weren’t too many military operations during an epidemic in which personnel on 40 U.S. Navy ships have come down with the hyper-contagious virus and…

View original post 202 more words

Poll: 37% of unemployed Americans ran out of food in past month

The Most Revolutionary Act


Tammy Webber and Hannah Fingerhut, Associated Press

Oak Park, Ill. — Kate Maehr has never seen anything like it: lines stretching for blocks as people, many with children, inch forward to get boxes of food they hope will last until the next giveaway, until the next paycheck or until they can get government food assistance.

“It’s just heartbreaking,” said Maehr, executive director of the Greater Chicago Food Depository. “They’re finding themselves in a set of circumstances where they have no income and they also have no food, and it happened in an instant.”

In this Tuesday, May 12, 2020, photo, residents from all walks of life line up for a food giveaway sponsored by the Greater Chicago Food Depository in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood of Chicago.In this Tuesday, May 12, 2020, photo, residents from all walks of life line up for a food giveaway sponsored by the Greater Chicago Food Depository in the Auburn Gresham neighborhood of Chicago. (Photo: Charles Rex Arbogast, AP)

The number of people seeking help from her organization and affiliated food pantries has surged 60% since the start…

View original post 225 more words

RETURN TO EDEN: ‘Agrihoods’ Provide Suburban Living Built Around Community Farms – Not Golf Courses

The Most Revolutionary Act

Source – collective-evolution.com via Rielpolitik

– :“…Every person on the planet can feed themselves with just 100 square feet of well managed land. In 2008, the UN Conference of Trade and development supported organics, saying that organic agriculture can be more conducive to food security in Africa than most conventional production systems, and is more likely to be sustainable in the long term”

‘Agrihoods’ Provide Suburban Living Built Around Community Farms – Not Golf Courses

California’s first farm-to-table new home community just opened. Called “The Cannery,” it’s a residential project designed and put together by The New Home Company. Designed with a seven acre urban farm near the center of downtown Davis, this 100 acre project is considered to be the very first agrihood built on what used to be industrial land.

The community is also home to 547 houses, all of which are energy efficient; each one…

View original post 310 more words