‘I can’t breathe’: Black US man dies after officer pins him down

A Black man who yelled “I cannot breathe” as a White Minneapolis police officer pinned him down with his knee in the US state of Minnesota died late on Monday, police confirmed, drawing outrage from community members and leaders.

Video of the incident shows a white police officer pinning down George Floyd, believed to be in his 40s, to the pavement with his knee on the man’s neck for several minutes. Floyd was identified by prominent civil rights lawyer Ben Crump, who said he had been retained by the Floyd family.

Floyd can be heard saying in the video: “Please, please, I cannot breathe.”

The officer tells Floyd to “relax”.

Floyd responds: “I can’t breathe. Please, the knee in my neck.”

The officer continues to hold down Floyd with his knee for several minutes, with Floyd pleading and asking for water.

“My stomach hurts. My neck hurts. Please, please. I can’t breathe,” Floyd cries out, while moaning and trying to cough.

Floyd eventually appears motionless under the officer’s knee.

Those who were watching the incident unfold can be heard begging police to move off Floyd.

“He’s not f****** moving,” an onlooker can be heard saying. “Get off of his f****** neck.”

It is unclear what happened before and after the video was taken.

FBI to investigate

In a statement on Tuesday, the Minneapolis Police Department said its officers were responding to a “report of a forgery in progress”.

“After [the suspect] got out [of his car], he physically resisted officers,” the statement said. “Officers were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and note he appeared to be suffering medical distress.”

He was then transported to a nearby medical centre where he died a short time later, the department said.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehensive (BCA) said it was “investigating the circumstances surrounding an incident”.

It added that it was sharing information with the FBI, which “is conducting a separate federal civil rights investigation at the request of the Minneapolis Police Department.”

Minneapolis Police Chief Medaria Arradondo said on Tuesday that he requested the FBI involvement after receiving additional information “from a community source”. He did not elabortate. 

The police officers involved in the incident were wearing body cameras, the Minneapolis police department said. The footage has not been made publicly available. Arradondo said the officers involved have been “relieved of duty status”, but are still being paid.

‘Trauma on trauma’

The incident has drawn outrage in the city and online, with many drawing comparisons to Eric Garner, an unarmed Black man who died in 2014 after being placed in a chokehold by New York City police and pleading: “I can’t breathe.” That incident sparked nationwide protests. 

“We all watched the horrific death of George Floyd on video as witnesses begged the police officer to take him to the police car and get off his neck,” Crump, the Floyd’s lawyer, said in a statement.

“This abusive, excessive and inhumane use of force cost the life of a man who was being detained by the police for questioning about a non-violent charge,” he added. “How many ‘while Black’ deaths will it take until the racial profiling and undervaluing of black lives by police finally ends?”

Nekima Levy Armstrong, a local lawyer and prominent activist, wrote on Facebook that this “is trauma on trauma on trauma”.

“We can’t escape police violence even in a global pandemic,” she added.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey called the incident “wrong on every level”.

“Being black in America should not be a death sentence,” he said in a Facebook post.

“This officer failed in the most basic, human sense,” he added. All I keep coming back to is this: this man should not have died … To our Black community, to the family: I’m so sorry.”

A protest is scheduled in Minneapolis on Tuesday, with organisers urging participants to wear masks and adhere to social distancing guidelines due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Adria Tour: Novak Djokovic adds Marin Cilic and Borna Coric to event

Novak Djokovic has announced Croatia’s Marin Cilic and Borna Coric as the latest players to join an eight-man tournament to tour the Balkans.

Austria’s Dominic Thiem, Bulgaria’s Grigor Dimitrov and Germany’s Alexander Zverev – all current or former top-three players – will also take part.

The first leg will take place in Djokovic’s hometown of Belgrade on 13 and 14 June.

“I’ll do everything in my power to be a good host,” said the world number one.

The tournament could be behind closed doors with Serbia’s coronavirus containment measures still banning large-scale gatherings.

After the Belgrade event, the tournament will move to the Croatian coastal resort of Zadar with Bosnia-Herzegovina and Montenegro pencilled in to host the final two legs.

Each event will feature two pools of four players with the winner of each progressing to a final.

Djokovic has only just returned to Serbia, having spent two months in Spain after visiting his brother Marko in Marbella when lockdown measures came into effect.

“Unlike many other players, I was able to train almost every day because we resided in a house with a tennis court,” said Djokovic, who began the 2020 season with a run of 18 straight victories that included capturing a record eighth Australian Open title.

Indonesia, major advocate of hydroxychloroquine, told by WHO to stop using it : Report

The World Health Organization has urged Indonesia, one of the world’s biggest advocates of two malaria drugs to treat the coronavirus, to suspend such treatment over safety concerns, a source familiar with the advice told Reuters.

Any decision by Indonesia to halt use of the drugs, chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine, in coronavirus patients would mark a major global shift away from a treatment which has been touted for months by US President Donald Trump.

Indonesia, the world’s fourth most populous nation, had told doctors to use the drugs to treat all COVID-19 patients with symptoms from mild to severe. The country has ramped up production since March, granting two dozen licenses to local manufacturers who have churned out millions of doses.

Odion Ighalo: Man Utd ‘in dialogue’ for extension on striker’s loan deal

Manchester United are “in dialogue” with Shanghai Shenhua to extend the loan deal of striker Odion Ighalo, says manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

Ighalo, 30, joined United in January and will return to China on 31 May unless an agreement can be reached to keep him until the end of the season.

“At the moment nothing’s been agreed yet,” Solskjaer told MUTV.

Meanwhile, Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba will be available for selection when the Premier League season resumes.

Striker Rashford and midfielder Pogba were both out with long-term injuries when the campaign was suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic in March.

Both players returned to small group training with the rest of the United squad last week.

“They’re looking good,” said Solskjaer.

“They’ve joined training now and they’ve done everything the other boys have been doing. No reaction so far, touch wood.

“When we get started, it looks like we can have a full squad to choose from.”

England international Rashford had been out with a back injury since January while France’s Pogba had missed most of the season with a foot problem.

Former Watford striker Ighalo was brought in as cover for Rashford on transfer deadline day in January and has impressed by scoring four goals in eight appearances.

Solskjaer added: “The loan deal went to the end of May now, so obviously he’s supposed to be going back.

“We’re in dialogue and hopefully [he can stay]. They’ve been great towards us, his club, and allow him to play for his dream club.

“It’s been been a dream for him and hopefully he can finish off what he started, maybe with a trophy or two.

“Their league is going to start soon so we are just waiting to see.”

Scientists understand cattle not climate villains, but media still missing message

Exposing the Big Game

FOR a long time emissions from cattle have been lumped in with emissions from other sources as the same destructive forces for the planet in the global climate change narrative.

However, through research overseen by scientists including Dr Frank Mitloehner (right) from the University of California Davis and Dr Myles Allen from Oxford University, scientific consensus is starting to build around the point that livestock-related greenhouse gases are distinctively different from greenhouse gases associated with other sectors of society (more on this below).

Dr Mitloehner, an internationally recognised air quality expert, explained to the Alltech One virtual conference on Friday night (Australian time) that the concept of accounting for methane according to its Global Warming Potential, as opposed to just its volume of CO2 equivalent, which showed that not all greenhouse gases are created equal, has now made it all the way to the…

View original post 1,507 more words

8 natural & homemade insecticides: Save your garden without killing the Earth

County Sustainability Group

yellow aphidsCC BY 2.0 Barbara Eckstein

These natural and DIY pesticides are effective at helping to rid your crops of harmful critters, but safe enough to keep from poisoning you and your family.

There’s nothing like having a home garden to make you begin to appreciate the trials and tribulations of the farmers who grow our food. Between weather, weeds, and insects, not to mention the challenges of soil fertility, it can be an incredibly humbling experience to try to put food on the table with a home garden – especially when adhering to organic protocols that don’t rely on quick, yet potentially harmful, solutions, such as herbicides, pesticides, and conventional fertilizers. We’ve written previously about homemade herbicides, which can help you get a handle on noxious or invasive weeds without as much labor as hand-weeding. This time around, we’re taking aim at insect pests, which have the potential to…

View original post 1,553 more words

Study: White Supremacist Groups Are ‘Thriving’ On Facebook, Despite Extremist Ban

The Most Revolutionary Act

Nappy News

A new study reports that white supremacist groups are “thriving” on Facebook, despite repeated assurances from the company that it doesn’t allow extremists on its platform.

The watchdog group Tech Transparency Project released a study Thursday that found more than 100 white supremacist groups had a presence on Facebook.

Project researchers identified 221 white supremacist groups — using information collected by Southern Poverty Law Center and the Anti-Defamation League, two of America’s most prominent anti-hate organizations — and searched for those groups on Facebook.

About 50% of the groups were present on the platform, the study said.

Of the 113 white supremacist groups the project found on Facebook, 36% had pages or groups created by active users. The remaining 64% had a page auto-generated by Facebook itself.

“With millions of people now quarantining at home and vulnerable to ideologies that seek to exploit people’s fears and…

View original post 39 more words

Presidential candidate Biden makes first public appearance since March

Joe Biden, the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee, emerged from more than two months of seclusion, wearing a black face mask during a visit to lay a wreath on the day the United States honors its war dead.

“It feels good to be out of my house,” said the 77-year-old, who has remained in isolation at his home in Wilmington, Delaware in keeping with recommended measures to protect the elderly and prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Biden’s last public appearance was March 15 when he faced off against his former Democratic rival Bernie Sanders for a debate in a television studio held with no live audience.